Results of 2020 Survey
A family satisfaction survey was conducted in February 2020 with 12 responses received from families. Below are the results of the average scores for the responses, the scores are based on a five point rating scale with one representing “very poor” and five representing “excellent.”
The survey requests feedback from families on both the Tamarack’s Family Services department’s performance, and on the overall treatment program’s performance. The exact scoring results are listed below.
|4.75||Likelihood of weekly family session or contact with your family therapist|
|4.67||The degree you feel your family therapist listens to your concerns|
|4.67||The degree you feel comfortable talking with your family specialist|
|4.50||Flexibility of family therapist in scheduling your family therapy appointments|
|4.00||The degree you understand your family therapy goals|
|4.00||The degree you feel family therapy is helping your child|
|3.75||The degree you feel family therapy is helping you.|
|3.75||The degree you feel family therapy is helping your family as a whole|
The survey results reflect a positive view the families have of their relationship with their family specialist. The scores from the families showed all responses except two in the very good to excellent range.
Overall Tamarack Program
|4.25||The ease with which you can contact staff regarding your child.|
|4.08||You feel welcome on the Tamarack campus.|
|4.08||The ease with which you can contact your child.|
|4.00||The degree to which treatment at Tamarack has helped your family.|
|3.92||Your understanding of your rights and responsibilities.|
|3.83||The explanation you receive when extraordinary events occur (incidents).|
|3.83||The parent portal to access information on your child.|
|3.75||Your understanding of how your child is doing in school.|
|3.75||Your understanding of the medication your child is taking.|
|3.55||Your understanding of your child’s treatment plan.|
|3.17||Your understanding of your child’s discharge criteria.|
|3.08||Your understanding of your child’s diagnosis.|
The scores overall reflect that the families feel welcome at Tamarack and feel they can easily access their children or staff. However, less than 50% of the families felt they had a very good or excellent understanding of their child’s treatment plan, diagnosis or discharge criteria.
Comments from the families regarding any suggested improvements for the program included the following:
- Discharge should be more formal.
- Need more parent orientation on how things works (e.g. pass goals and filling out passes upon return, understanding family therapy goals, understanding who to contact, and visit expectations).
- Communication and collaboration between psychiatrists seems lacking, as well as the amount of professional time they spend with our child a week.
- Early in our stay, we had to point out that our child was not getting any school work done.
Comments from the families regarding what they liked best at Tamarack included the following:
- I’ve been very impressed with Tamarack. The facility itself does not feel institutional, the program is comprehensive, and the staff are extremely kind, helpful, and seem to be very knowledgeable and caring.
- My family therapist (2 times)
- The family therapy sessions and once a month meetings with my child and staff.
- It feels like a family.
- I feel like the staff that I have met are very well equipped to deal with types of kids that are here. I also kept busy and physically active.
- Caring, compassionate, skilled staff that works well together in challenging settings.
- The highly structured environment, the variety of activities and forms of therapy, as well as excellent staff that develop relationships with the youth.
- The family outreach programs and how they customize treatment for each patient.
- I like that she [family specialist] has our daughter using DBT skills each meeting. She is also very responsive to our questions. My first visit to Tamarack was a bit surprising in that the kids were really well behaved. Our child came from Children’s in Seattle and it was very chaotic, there was no sense of order. The kids seem to have a healthy respect for the Tamarack staff. We have seen great improvement in our daughter.
- The open communication and how well the program works. I am so deeply grateful for this program.
- They keep my child safe
- I think the program is amazing.
Overall, the families Tamarack serves view our services in a very positive manner. They clearly had more positive comments than suggestions for improvements. It is apparent from looking at the results that the families we work with feel the services we are providing to them are useful and beneficial to both their child and their family.